Residential Real Estate Law Firm in East Greenwich, RI
Why should you work with a residential real estate lawyer? This is a question many people have come to us asking because they think if they have a real estate agent they will be all set when it comes to buying or selling a house. However, having an attorney by your side in East Greenwich, RI can be helpful when you are working with real estate property. Because you will be entering into a legal agreement with another party, it is important to understand the contracts you will be signing and make sure that you are getting a fair deal. Real estate law can be incredibly complex, so you want to be sure that your rights are fully protected. While having a real estate agent is helpful, a lawyer will look out for your best interests so that you are accepting fair terms. Are you interested in working with our residential real estate lawyer East Greenwich, RI has to offer? Call McCarthy Law, LLC now to schedule your initial meeting.
Residential Real Estate Lawyer East Greenwich, RI
Purchasing or selling your property is an exciting experience, one that often takes months or years to prepare for. Once you have finally reached the final stages of a purchase or sale, it can bring you a big sense of relief. However, going through the last steps of the process can be a challenge. Going through the stress of carefully reviewing contracts and other important documents is the next difficult step. To make sure that you are accepting a fair offer, it would be beneficial to have a real estate lawyer review every matter related to your transaction.
When you work with a real estate lawyer for residential properties, you will want to know what they can do for you. They are capable of doing a variety of tasks for you so that your home buying experience can go smoothly. Some things that this type of lawyer can do are:
- Help make sure issues that come up prior to closing (asbestos, property damage, repairs that weren’t made) get fixed
- Negotiate on your behalf for a better price
- Review contracts and purchase agreements
- Review documents to make sure you are getting a fair agreement
By working with a lawyer who has specialized knowledge in real estate, you can have the peace of mind to finalize your purchase or sale with confidence. When you hire a lawyer to take care of your needs and interests, you can avoid any last minute issues. You don’t want to find out about steps that you should have taken or problems with your home once you’ve already signed a contract. They possess the legal experience to swiftly and competently address any of your real estate concerns. For more information about what a residential real estate lawyer can do for you, schedule a consultation with one today.
Why are residential real estate lawyers necessary?
If you have purchased or sold a property before you know it can be stressful. The process of finding the right home that is affordable and meets your needs as an individual or family can be overwhelming. You have to check that the house is structurally sound and that the price point is reasonable and fair. Through negotiations to challenging legal issues, an exciting experience for you can quickly become a nightmare. With a lawyer committed to acting in your best interest, you can be assured that you will be taken care of and that you are moving forward with a fair transaction. We want to make sure you are not stuck dealing with problems that could have been resolved if you had just had an attorney from East Greenwich, Rhode Island by your side.
What if I am having problems with zoning/property lines?
This is not an uncommon problem that comes up between neighbors and if someone builds on your property or if someone is accusing you of building on their property, you will want to make sure you have a residential real estate attorney who is familiar with the area, the laws, and can pull up zoning information. Lawyers are skilled at handling and resolving such disputes. Any issues involving zoning and property lines are best handled by a professional and not on your own, since they deal with sophisticated and overlapping areas of law. We do this so you don’t have to.
This is likely one of the biggest decisions that you will be making. Buying residential real estate is a huge step and we will be there to navigate this process with you. There are a lot of factors to consider and making big decisions regarding your property can be tricky. With a seasoned lawyer however, all your concerns can be addressed. Are you interested in seeing how one of our attorneys in East Greenwich, Rhode Island can help you? Call McCarthy Law, LLC to speak with our residential real estate lawyer now.
Questions You Should Ask a Real Estate Lawyer
Whether you are buying or selling property, it’s important to have an experienced residential real estate lawyer in East Greenwich, RI on your side. Real estate transactions can get complicated, so working with a lawyer can give you a peace of mind. You probably have multiple questions about what you can expect from a real estate lawyer and their approach to handling your situation. Before meeting with a lawyer, you should write down a list of questions to ask them so that they can give you information specific to your case. It also helps you determine whether you are working with a lawyer that is credible and has the right experience. Here are several questions you should ask a lawyer.
- How Long Have You Been Practicing Real Estate Law? One of the first things you should find out is how long a lawyer has been practicing real estate law. Generally, the more experience a lawyer has, the better job he or she can ultimately do for you. More experienced lawyers are likely to have dealt with tougher cases with varying levels of complexity. If you have a complicated real estate transaction, it is especially important to work with a lawyer who has been in the field for 10 or more years.
- How Many Cases Similar to Mine Have You Dealt With? Not all real estate transactions are the same. In fact, they can be extremely different from one another. That is why you should find out if a real estate lawyer has handled cases similar to yours. If a lawyer is familiar with your type of transaction, he or she will be aware of potential issues that may arise and how to mitigate them. They will know what strategies to use for your particular transaction right away.
- How Much of Your Practice Is Dedicated to Real Estate Law? In addition to finding out how many years of experience a lawyer has, you should ask what percentage of the practice is focused on real estate law. If the firm takes all kinds of legal cases, you may want to find a firm that’s more focused on real estate law.
- What Problems Could Occur During a Transaction? While it would be ideal if all real estate transactions went through without any issues, it does not always work that way. That is why it is important to ask a residential real estate lawyer in East Greenwich, RI about what possible issues you might face during a transaction. You should also find out how a lawyer handles each issue that may come up.
- What Are Your Fees? Real estate lawyers do not all charge the same fees. During your initial consultation, you should find out how much a lawyer charges before hiring him or her. You should also ask if he or she charges a fixed or hourly fee and whether or not the fees are negotiable.
Purchasing a home is a major life decision, and a residential real estate lawyer in East Greenwich, Rhode Island, can help you find the best path forward. Many people understand how challenging the home-buying process can be, but they still underestimate how many hoops they have to jump through in order to secure a property for themselves.
Whether you’re purchasing your first home or your dream home, residential real estate is a major investment. Before you even think of making a purchase, you have to visit any potential homes, look them over, and cover all of your bases in case there’s any trouble: You may think primarily of shoddy construction, poor maintenance, and old or dangerous appliances, but there’s always the possibility of real estate fraud, too.
Fortunately, a residential real estate lawyer in East Greenwich, RI can help you avoid the pitfalls of home buying and can also help you navigate the complicated legal red tape that comes with every investment. Without the right preparation, your property has the potential to become a major loss – but with the right lawyer on your side, you can be sure that your purchase is sound and you’re making the right decision.
Is real estate ever a bad investment?
Real estate is valuable, but when it comes to a house, you want more than just an investment: You want a place that you can call home. While it may seem worthwhile to invest in a home because you believe the housing market is only going up, you still need to make sure that the house you choose will be worth the effort.
Property values aside, you need to ask yourself whether it’s worth it to move into a small house that needs extensive remodeling or updating, or whether you can handle that recently-renovated treasure that just so happens to be in a rough neighborhood. Like any other kind of investment, some houses are worth the trouble, and some are just bottomless pits of expenses and maintenance. And unfortunately, some are downright scams.
Real estate fraud isn’t talked about often. You don’t see it on the news or in movies, and you don’t see many clickbaity articles online warning you about it, either. But unfortunately, it’s a very real possibility. Real estate fraud can happen at any time during your home buying process, and there are a number of forms the fraud can take. Sometimes documents are forged, and sometimes a property isn’t exactly as reported when you took a look at it. Whatever the specifics, real estate fraud can tank your credit, and even cause your property to be swiped out from under you: All the more reason to contact a qualified residential real estate lawyer.
Reach out to McCarthy Law, LLC today
At McCarthy Law, LLC, we understand that purchasing a home takes a lot of work. Every home purchase is a monumental occasion in your life, and every time you settle on a major investment like a house, you’re taking a risk. Even if the housing market is strong, there’s still the off chance that you could be signing off on a problem-prone property that’s more trouble than it’s worth – or worse, you could be a victim of real estate fraud without even knowing it.
It pays to be prepared, and it pays to protect yourself from real estate fraud and poor investments. Reach out to McCarthy Law, LLC today, and see how a residential real estate lawyer in East Greenwich, RI, can help you plan your future.